The External Affairs Committee is responsible for education and outreach activities of the DFD. As such, the DFD wishes to promote the subject of fluid dynamics and help those who find the financial burden of the meeting difficult.
The Committee targets in particular young scientists and those not otherwise able to attend. Towards this end, the Division of Fluid Dynamics will provide a small number of individuals with financial support to attend the annual meeting. This program aims to:
- Support undergraduates to attend the annual meeting (about 5 awards will be made)
- Support graduate students of investigators within 3 years of their faculty appointment and who lack other support to attend the annual meeting (about 5 awards will be made)
- Support scientists from other countries to attend the meeting (about 10 awards will be made); preference will be given to scientists from underdeveloped countries who would not ordinarily attend the meeting.
The APS DFD provides travel subsidy grants to qualifying participants as follows:
- US, Canada, and Mexico: $500 travel subsidy (all researchers are eligible).
- Other: $1000 travel subsidy (all researchers are eligible).
Applications must be received by the abstract submission deadline: August 2, 2013 at 5:00 pm EDT.
The Division's External Affairs Committee will select award recipients. Preference will be given to undergraduate and graduate student presenters, and to applicants who have partial funding to support their travel costs. Generally, no more than one award will be given to applicants from the same research group, and strong preference will be given to applicants who have not received such an award in the past. Award recipients will be notified by email by approximately September 15,2013.
You may request a letter of invitation as you register for the meeting. Register here. If you need one prior to registering, please email a request to email@example.com. You must note in the subject line of the email: LETTER OF INVITATION.
Pittsburgh International Airport
None of the Downtown hotels have private shuttle service to and from the airport. Other transportation options from the airport are as follows:
- Super Shuttle (1-800BLUEVAN) provides service to all the downtown hotels: $24 one-way / $46 round-trip
- Taxi: $35/$45 (approx.) one way from airport
- Bus: $3.75 from airport which drops off a few blocks from the hotels. See http://www.portauthority.org/rt/28X.pdf for more information. Exact cash (or above) required, operators do not carry change.
Taking the Train to Pittsburgh
AMTRAK (Train station) is located directly downtown, behind the Westin Convention Center hotel. Attendees may simply cross the street to get to the Westin. The Doubletree has a shuttle which can pick up from the train station (or, it truly is a quick 4 block walk to the hotel). The Omni is a three block walk and the Renaissance is about 4 blocks.